The 'Give Me Five' Monday meme is designed to share fun information with each other in a simple short list! Here's how it works. Each week, I will put out a random topic from my list of topics and you share 5 answers of your choice on the given topic and link back here! You can add photos, links or stories or just a simple list of your own of 5 things that relate to the topic as it pertains to you and your life experiences. It doesn't have to be in any order of importance unless otherwise specified.
Sign up for weekly reminder emails @ email@example.com
Give Me Five fun summer vacation memories from your childhood.
We are having Vacation Bible School (VBS) at our church this week and it is bringing up all sorts of great old memories from my childhood! All those hot summers of my youth, playing outdoors and swimming and family vacations....ok, I'd better start my list before I give it all away!
1. VBS & Camp. I remember VBS's held in the country at my grandma and grandpas church as well as up here in the city at our church and what I remember most is all the fun! Plenty of singing, skits, snacks, games and on and on! Good times, if your local church has a VBS, please take your kids. It's such a great opportunity for them to get some structured spiritual education during those summer months off from school. They can make new friends and even some that last a lifetime! Church camp is the same thing except it's much more entailed. The staying overnights and so on makes it much more suited for the older kids. But it was definitely one of my favorite things about summer time. I still sing some of the songs I learned at camp! Great lifelong memories have been secured there for me.
2. Family vacations. Our family may have been very disfunctional in many ways but we always did the road trip family vacation atleast once each summer. I guess that's maybe why I enjoy the National Lampoon's Vacation movies so much. I can relate to: not getting along with your sibling in the back seat, getting lost and traveling through unfamiliar roads to get to new and interesting and fun locations, visiting extended family and so on! My favorites were any that ended in me going swimming or to an amusement park of some sort :) Of course we also visited the country every or every other weekend so going camping or on float trips or boating on the lake and such were always a favorite too.
3. Summer sitters. At different ages, my parents hired different people to come stay with our family to watch over my older brother and myself. One of the first was my aunt Wanda, so they say, I must have been too young to remember that. Once it was a girl from church, she was an older teenager. She was fine but kinda weird. Once it was my cousin Christina, that was fun! Oh the stories from that summer! Sometimes we went into daycamp program at the local Salvation Army, that was also a blast! And sometimes we would spend the entire summer (well, it felt like the entire summer) at my grandparent's house. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Gamma and Gampa but it felt like a long time to not be home is all (translation: a long time to be away from my mommy!). Usually, my parents would use this opportunity to do remodeling in the house and of course, they visited every or every other weekend :)
4. Summer fruits. I heart watermelon and peaches and strawberries and cantaloupe and plums and grapes and bananas and all the fruits that just seem to taste better in the warm summer months. Yum, yum eat-em'-up! Summer is like 1/2 over!!!
5. Week-long sleep overs. Once we were old enough to be at home without supervision during our summer vacations, I would always take breaks from the usual neighborhood activities and have like week-long sleep overs at friend's houses. Sometimes they would stay with me too but mostly I liked to be away from th every impending drama at my house so I stayed with them. None of my friend's parents minded since it got their kid out of their hair for a while. It was always interesting to see how someone else's parents made the rules for living. At one friend's house, you had to do things this way or that. Of course there was no xbox 360 back then so we would have to be creative in order to entertain ourselves and not get bored of each other for that long. It was also sort of challenging to remember how I was expected to act in their house at the same time remember how my mom expected me to act even if I wasn't at home. It was a great way to get out and experience life and see the way others live their lives. I suppose it's why I still enjoy being at other people's houses for visiting. I've always been a traveler and loner since I was a kid. I was the only girl in our neighborhood for years and years so I had to learn to play alone at home or go somewhere else for companionship. All in all, there are many many great childhood memories to focus on when those not so nice ones come creeping along. Oh to be young again!!! I'd just enjoy a 3 month vacation from work! LOL
2. Stacey@Real World Mom
6. Joyce T.
7. Penny Lane
8. Tina Kubala
Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.
Mine is up and I used VBS as one of mine too! :o)
Ooohh! Great list, Becca! I forgot to add summer fruits to mine. Happy Monday!
Great trip down memory lane!
I love VBS & summer fruits. Watermelon is my favorite.
Ok, so I read it wrong. I listed my 5 favorite vacations of my childhood. Sorry. I will post another one with the right topic. I am such a nut. I have had a long day today. Sorrry for the mistake.
Ok, so now I am on there twice. Sorry!! I will do better next week. I promise.
Becca, it sounds like you know how to have fun, beginning at an early age! I enjoyed reading your five. :) I love summer fruits, too, but didn't want to copy you. :P
WOW -- week long sleep overs!
I just did neighborhood stuff.
We have had severe weather thunder, lightening and lost our power yesterday and today. I have lots of catching up to do before we get more!
I went to some wonderful VBS sessions when I was a kid. A couple churches also did Backyard Bible School, which is very fun, too.
My answers can be found at: http://purrrplej.blogspot.com/
What a fun idea. I just posted mine as well. z
Post a Comment