Sunday, July 20, 2008

"Hancock" movie review


Spoiler alter!!!! If you haven't yet seen this movie, be forewarned I'm about to discuss some details about it.

**********************************
Still here? Good! Tonight I went to see Hancock. I am not quite sure what I had in my mind that it was going to be about but it was a bit different than I was thinking it would be in the end. No, it had nothing to do with Wilmington real estate, silly! I had heard that Will Smith plays "Hancock" a black super hero who is an alcoholic so I knew to expect that part. What I didn't know was the background. Now that I've seen the movie, I still don't *really* know the background.

They don't go into great detail about who made them or where they were made or why they were made strong unless they were with their pair-mate which made them mortal and vulnerable. It seemed almost as if their background wouldn't be questioned and they threw in partial descriptions as an afterthought?

And what was the deal with the eagle, just that he could fly? That was most certainly not explained even though someone specifically asked him. Maybe I missed something? Perhaps if I could have seen this movie along with someone and could have talked about it a bit afterwards, things would have made a bit more sense. The movie had some nice action scenes full of fast flying sequences. It was entertaining but I feel like it left a little bit to be desired. I think Jason Batemen did a great job but his character never showed the kind of emotions you'd expect if you were to find out your wife was already married...oh and that she happened to be some sort of immortal superhero that's been alive for 3,000 years oh and that she will never age. He never questioned if Mary would go back to John or still loved him. He seemed to bounce back pretty quickly in my opinion. Perhaps a few too many scenes hit the cutting room floor on this one? It just fell a little flat on the plot.

Charlize Theron was beautiful as usual, just don't call her 'crazy'. Personally, I was left with a couple of questions but all in all it was a pretty good movie. It was entertaining even if I didn't get all the background and never really *bought* it all the way. The final hospital scene was kind of ... weak. She was able to feel what was happening to him but then she died and he was still ok, wouldn't he have died too? Why could she feel his an not vice versa? Perhaps my OCD makes me too literal in situations like these but it feels like they didn't do a good job selling some parts of it. The website said 'Hancock...often misunderstood'. I could see that. This is the kind of movie that is best on the big screen, but then again, I think that of all movies! Have you seen it? What did you think? Can you offer any explanations to help me 'get' it more?

No comments: