Monday, June 18, 2007

How would you survive?

True Story:

I've never been one to stay somewhere that I didn't want to be. That may sound like a silly way to begin a post, but stick with me here.
I went on a 3 day road trip with a couple of friends a few years back to Nashiville, Tennessee. It's about a 5 or 6 hour drive or so from St. Louis. Being young and inexperienced and no credit cards to fall back on, I quickly ran out of money while we were there.

To this day, I'm not 100% sure why, but the one friend who's car we took on the trip, who also seemed to be in charge of everything else, decided to cop an attitude about helping me out by paying for me, the morning we were to come back to St. Louis. Honestly, we are only talking about breakfast, lunch, and a drink for the road. It's only 5 hours!

We stopped at a local fast food restaurant to get some breakfast. When we got out of the car, I asked her if she could open the trunk so I could put my purse inside since it was useless to me anyway (no cash!). Again, not sure why, but she copped an attitude with me about opening the trunk! So, I decided, forget it. I would just sit on the curb and wait for them to finish and come out. I already felt bad enough for running out of money and having to ask for help.

So there I was sitting there looking around. The longer I sat there, the more upset I got. I thought, I wish I could just leave on my own and get my own way home. I'll show her I don't need her help or her attitude!

So, I began to think. How can I get home? I have no money, no cell phone, no car, no credit card, no id (my purse was in the trunk, remember?). How in the world would I be able to get home on my own? Just then, I noticed a church, and it all came to my mind how I could possibly get home. I felt that I could walk over to that church (or another one) and simply explain my situation. I could ask them to use their phone (even if I had to call collect) to call home and have them wire me money for a bus ticket and some food. I had it all worked out in my head and was 98% convinced to get up and walk away from that curb, when my friends emerged from inside, finished with breakfast.

I didn't go to the church that day and ask to use the phone, but I have always wondered what would have happened if I had. Could I have gotten home on my own that day from Tennessee?

Have you every had to figure out a way to survive in an unfamiliar setting? Starting June 28th Michael Weston, a CIA Operative on USA Network's Burn Notice a new TV series, will show us how he deals with a similar situation (minus the crabby 'friends' I'm sure) and much much more!

No comments: