Monday, December 01, 2008

Give Me Five Monday Meme #43

Monday, December 1, 2008

The 'Give Me Five' Monday meme is designed to share fun information with each other in a simple short list! Here's how it works. Each week, I will put out a random topic from my list of topics and you share 5 answers of your choice on the given topic and link back here! You can add photos, links or stories or just a simple list of your own of 5 things that relate to the topic as it pertains to you and your life experiences. It doesn't have to be in any order of importance unless otherwise specified.
Sign up for weekly reminder emails @ beccagirl@charter.net


Give Me Five items you purchased on Black Friday or over this past weekend for the upcoming holiday season.

As cold as it is in some areas across the country, I'm sure lots of people will say they bought a new electric blanket for themselves. I actually did buy some things for myself, taking advantage of the Black Friday sales. I actually don't buy much for people considering I am trying to break that old association of gift giving as the holiday instead of celebrating the true meaning of the season. So when I give gifts, they tend to be the kind I can make myself. People do appreciate home made gifts and this year will be no exception. I will have more on my holiday crafts after I have begun to share them with those who may read my blog ;-) So with that in mind, here is my list:

1. Kitchen cart.
2. Craft supplies.
3. Lotions.
4. Candles.
5. Decorations.

Mr. Linky may be having issues. If it's not displayed below, leave your link in the comments or come back by later on to fill in Mr. Linky. Sorry for the inconvenience.

9 comments:

Mom Knows Everything said...

We don't have BF here in Canada, but I did go shopping yesterday.

4streegrrl said...

I can't do this "Give Me Five" because I didn't buy anything on Black Friday - I was celebrating "Buy Nothing Day"!! :)

BND was invented by Adbusters in Canada in 1992, now celebrated around the world, to protest rampant consumerism. The culture of shopping, using credit to death, and consuming for the sake of consuming ("wants" rather than "needs") has so many negative impacts on the environment, the economy, our social/mental health, and other cultures around the world making cheap stuff for "us".

http://www.adbusters.org/campaigns/bnd

Sorry to be a bit of a downer here and rant a bit, but as a professional who works in the natural resource sector, I see how the endless drive for the public to consume can pointlessly destroy forests, wetlands, fish streams, wildlife habitats, soil and air. Choosing disposable coffee cups from Starbucks, or other throwaway paper packaging goods, over live trees is ridiculous to me.

Buy Nothing Day is a day designed to just stop buying for a moment, be mindful and aware, and really think about the consequences of our actions...not to eliminate consumerism completely. And being mindful and aware is good, no? :)

4streegrrl said...

btw, I am glad that you are making gifts rather than buying them! More people need to think like you, I believe, and remember what the season is all about. :) I am knitting a scarf for my MIL this year, rather than stress out and buy something for the woman who has everything.

Clara said...

4streegrrl, BND is for me! I agree with your post all the way. We spend way to much on stuff just for stuff's sake. I'm going to start officially celebrating BND! Well, I already do but I didn't know it was an official holiday!

Anonymous said...

Good list of not to expensive stuff. Your mom and i had a great time on Saturday, we could have went crazy..but we controled ourselves.

Anonymous said...

Mine is up as well. Have a great Monday everyone!

Cheers,
Nita

Amber said...

I'm late this week, but I did manage to post :o)

Amber said...

I've passed on an award to you, come check it out :o)

Bethany said...

Okay, now I have to know what you are making for Christmas that costs so little... I need ideas!!