Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Give Me Five Meme *SPECIAL EDITION*

*Special Year End Edition of the Give Me Five Meme*


This week, I've decided to push back the Give Me Five Monday Meme until today, Wednesday, for a special year end edition. 2008 brought many small moments to reflect upon as well as the bigger moments we will never forget. So, without further ado, I bring you the topic of today's GM5:

Give Me Five of your personal favorite moments, memories, stories or photos of 2008.

1. I got to meet Kirk Cameron!!! Ok, for those of you who know me, you know I was a big fan of Kirk's back in the day. I never thought I would actually meet him this side of heaven and I did. Here's a bit of the back story on how it all came about and why meeting Kirk Cameron had such a special meaning to me.

2. Baby DJ is born! On Father's Day (June 15th) my cousin had their first baby, a boy. He's so cute and precious, it has been a real joy watching him grow these past few months. He's doing really well and thriving and getting stronger and bigger every day.

3. I discovered Setting Captives Free, a wonderful website for people who are afflicted with addictions. Mine is with food. I started 'The Lord's Table-Phase 1' and enjoyed healthy successes! Of course, I began to slack with the bible study part and soon after, the eating part began to suffer as well. I am sooooo looking forward to getting started on the study all over again and getting back to eating in a way that glorifies God!

4. Home improvements. Well, I'm still under construction but there are many great changes that have been accomplished and many more to come. The work done in 2008 is setting a great stage for a more organized and tidy 2009, much overdue too. When I was on my trip to Maryland, I visited (I tore up!) an Ikea store, purchasing lots of new styled kitchen-y type items to redecorate that space with. I'm so over the 'Americana' decor that I've had ever since I moved out of my mom's house 9 years ago. So out with the old and bring on the new! My brother has been over lately helping me put up shelves and a pot rack...I can't wait to show you pictures once everything is cleaned and put up/out! After the kitchen, it's on to the other rooms....I could really use a tv stand...oh bother, that's just getting me started! LOL

5. My recent trip to Maryland. I didn't blog about my recent trip because it was so short and sweet. But I also don't want to sell it short either! I enjoyed many things about my trip, especially when I'm in a new city just mulling about trying to find things and getting around on unfamiliar public transportation, it's incredibly humbling and yet it gives you a sense of strength at the same time. When you are taken out of your comfort zone and get to experience new things that other people take for granted. It's great, a thrill of sorts for me. I visited some museums as planned and shopped in Ikea, much to my overwhelming joy......for 5 hours! Plus we also visited the Creation Museum on the way back. It was great!

So that was a brief highlight of my 2008, of course there were many ups and downs along the way, including the bad news about my baby boy, PJ who now has some health issues we are working on. I'd like to leave this year with a thought from one of my favorite songs this holiday season. Peace on Earth is a holiday album released by Casting Crowns. A very noteworthy line in the song 'I heard the bells on Christmas day' says, "God is not dead. Nor does He sleep." Remember, there is no Plan B. He's still in control of the original Plan A!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
Sorry I haven't been around much lately. When I read about you meeting Kirk Cameron, I had to tell you that I was in LOVE with him in the 3rd grade. I had a skating party which included a big "cookie cake" which said "Holly Loves Kirk Cameron." I also didn't think that it was the least bit embarassing. Although now it seems like it maybe should have been.

Is it me, or does he never age?