Friday, August 01, 2008

Do you have a pearl in your life's oyster?

I was recently chosen to receive and review cultured freshwater pearls from PearlParadise.com. I was given choices of colors for the pearls and white or yellow gold as well. We could also chose if we wanted earrings or a necklace.

When deciding what I should request to receive, I was concerned that a 'normal' length strand of pearls wouldn't fit me, I'm a big girl, now! So I mentioned that fact and went on to request white pearl, yellow gold stud earrings. I am happy with my choice! To my delight and humble surprise, I opened my package to discover a 26" beautifully lustrous strand of 79 white 7.0-8.0 mm pearls! I want whoever decided to send this specific strand to know, they are the perfect fit for my needs! Thank you so much!

I first learned about cultured pearls as a child, we used to go to 'pearl parties'. The table would be spread with actual empty settings for rings, earrings or necklaces. For a nominal fee, you would pick out your oyster, no matter how valuable the pearl inside was. I always chose the biggest, grungiest, most barnacle covered oyster in the fishbowl! Next, the consultant would open it to reveal your new pearl, which you then had set into one of the settings you would purchase additionally. The consultant would measure it and do some other things, I was a kid, I don't know what all she did, but they would record it and send it off with your setting to be received later as a nice new piece of jewelry! My favorite was my mom's blue/gray baroque pearls and a couple of gold ones that were used for a tie tack for dad and a smaller one made into a pendant for me. Over the years, our house was burglarized a couple of times. On one of the instances, they took the pillowcases from the pillows and dumped my mom's jewelry box inside. All the pearls were gone, except the small gold one in my box.

Although pearl parties were a lot of fun as a child, what with the element of surprise and all, I can see now as an adult that it would have been difficult to get a matching pair if you cared for earrings. Hmm....better leave the guessing out and purchase pearls that are already matched in color, size, shape and luster! :)

I am so excited to have these pearls to wear! As I was examining them and appreciating each one's beauty, I began to think about the lengthy process of how every beautiful pearl comes into fruition. At the same time, I began to contemplate a similar process in my life. Please enjoy this video I created to tell the story!



It's not a perfect metaphor but it certainly has a number of interesting comparisons. I could have gone on and on about this but sometimes less is more. This video was alot of fun to make. I would like to add, however, that even if there was only 1 oyster ever in this world, Jesus would *still* have come as a sacrifice. You are that precious to God! I will wear my pearls from PearlParadise.com with thanksgiving and a new appreciation for the process I am going through as my "pearl" continues to grow and is increasingly layered with lustrous nacre from the impregnation of God in my life! Remember, without accepting The Sacrifice, you are just an empty oyster!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it!!! It is a great way not only to look at pearls and salvation, but to truly look at the constant work God is doing in us!! Christ lives in me!! I got pearls!!

Love Ya,
Jen

Pearl Paradise FAQ said...

Hi Becca,

We are glad you like the strand! By your note it seemed as though you would prefer a strand but thought it would be too short. That is why we sent you a long strand instead of earrings.

We hope you enjoy them for years to come!

Great job on the video, by the way.

BeccA's Buzz said...

Well, the video was a pleasure to make, thank you for personalizing my request! I love the pearls and will enjoy them for a very long time, indeed!