Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Green Tea for me 2

I've been trying some different brands and flavors of Green Teas lately. I've discovered that I don't really care at all for any of the fruit or citrus flavored varieties.

Today I tried Vitamin Water's "Rescue" which is Green Tea (c+egcg). It's pretty good!



In comparison to the Snapple All Natural Green Tea Original, it pails with regard to mgs of actual egcg. The Snapple brand boasts 55 mg of egcg per 17.5 oz bottle where the Vitamin Water brand only provides 25 mgs per 20 oz bottle.

As stated on the side of the Snapple label "Studies of green tea consumption recommend 300 mg of egcg per day to effectively boost metabolism."

One would have to drink (12) 20 oz bottles of Vitamin Water a day to achieve this goal as opposed to only (5 1/2) of the 17.5 oz bottles of Snapple. Both seem a bit out of my reach, but that would be a whopping 1,500 calories from the Vitamin Water compared to only 330 calories from Snapple brand in an attempt to obtain the 300 mgs of egcg required to effectively boost your metabolism, "according to some studies."

I don't know about you, but I figure some egcg is better than the none I was getting before I started enjoying green tea.

I also made another observation whilst reading the Vitamin Water Rescue Green Tea (c+egcg) label. Apparently there is meaning behind the "C +". It stands for Vitamin C, and according to the nutritional facts, drinking an entire bottle of it will provide you with 150% Vitamin C based on a 2,000 calorie diet. WOW!!! That's great for us ladies in our "20's."

Anyway, I think I'll stick to Snapple All Natural Green Tea Original for now.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Actually, that's not great for ladies in their 20's. Too much vitamin C can cause diarrhea, stomach cramps, and nausea not to mention the following possible side effects: kidney stones, reduced vitamin B-12 and copper status, increased oxygen demand and becoming a pro-oxidant (a substance thought to promote cancer, heart disease, and stroke, the opposite of an antioxidant).

Unknown said...

Oops. Forgot to credit one of the sources: http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/2474.html

BeccA's Buzz said...

I know what I was thinking of....I keep mentally confusing Vitamin C with Calcium! Calcium is good for us ladies...
My bad.
But it makes one wonder, if Vitamin C is so bad for us, why would they want to boost the amount they put in it and then promote it as good for us???

Unknown said...

Up to a certain level is good for you. Like everything, it's the excess that will cause you problems.

BeccA's Buzz said...

True enough, I suppose!