Monday, October 22, 2007

Mom said what?

I was just having a conversation with my mom, telling her about my time last night, watching my 2 nephews. I was telling her how cute it was that Baby E was following me from room to room, always right behind me and how I had to be careful when I stopped sometimes because I didn't want him to knock into me and fall down.

I was much like this with my mom when I was little. I was a momma only kind of child, actually and it sometimes caused issues. So my mom proceeded to tell this story:

"Well, that's why it's so hard to be away from your kids, because you get so used to them being right there with you. When they aren't there, you just feel odd. I almost drove your father nuts one weekend we were away from you kids! And when I left your dad that time and I stayed in the basement (long story, I'll tell ya later), he didn't know how to handle you. He made it ok the first day, the next day he took you kids out to your aunt's house. You were so clingy to me, you had to be right in the room with me. Your brother wasn't as bad, he could be off in another room, often within sight of me, but he didn't have to be right with me like you did. It wasn't enough to be in sight, you needed to be close to me. When you were little, if I would have died, you would have come out to be some kind of warped person!"

What? LOL I jokingly told her I am a warped person, but she had a point. I didn't take to anybody. I wasn't spoiled, I was needy. I needed her for security. I was terribly worked up into a frenzy if I could see her but couldn't have her. I was not the kind of child that could be left with a babysitter.

So I said all that to say this, sometimes when kiddos cry for mommy or daddy, it's not because they 'just need to grow up' it's more than that and you need to be mindful of that. Kids do need a break from mom and dad too, they need to learn that other people can help them when they need help and take care of them and have a good time with other people and they also need to learn that adults are in charge, even if they aren't mom and dad. But it needs to be done on their terms as well. So all you rude people out there who think 'Just cut the strings already' sometimes it's not that easy and you should try not to judge them.

*Steps down from soap box*

No comments: