Friday, August 03, 2007

Upcoming bible study: Epic by John Eldredge


This bible study is set to begin Tuesday, August 14, 2007. @ First Baptist Church of Arnold, MO. It will run for 5 weeks. My mom will be the teacher, in which I am well pleased. I think she has really been given a divine gift for teaching women. I've been through several of her classes and studies, and I am always so happy to have the privilege. Trust me, if you've ever experienced a so-so teacher or even a teacher who didn't really even care too much about the students, you'll know what I mean when I say, because of her insights and otherwise general awesomeness as a teacher, I can't wait to get started on the study! Many women enjoy her classes and studies and always show their love for her with so much appreciating. For her to be my own mother, I know I am blessed.

I plan to give weekly notes as I go through the study so check back for more information!
Here's an article I found about it on the Thomas Nelson Website:

Epic
The Story God Is Telling and the Role That Is Yours to Play
Hardcover

We don't usually identify with the author of a great story. Instead we bond with the hero and heroine-the ones that the story is about. We share in their heartaches and triumphs. We cheer their accomplishments and mourn their losses.

When we think about our own story, we may see God as the author-an omniscient and omnipotent cosmic mastermind-but fail to recognize Him as the central character. In Epic, a retelling of the gospel in four acts, John Eldredge invites us to revisit the drama of life, viewing God not only as the author but also as the lead actor, exploring His motives and His heart. Eldredge examines the power of story, the universal longing for a "plot" that makes sense deep inside us, our desire for a meaningful role to play, our love of books and movies, and how all of this points us to the gospel itself.

It's a story better than any fairy tale! Our human hearts are made for great drama, and the gospel, with its tragedy and grandeur, truly is epic.

This should be a great study! Stay tuned...

No comments: